- Lightly oil or spray an 8″ x 8″ baking dish. Add bread cubes and fruit.
- In a medium bowl, blend eggs, milk, vanilla, and sugar.
- Pour over bread cubes and fruit. Stir gently to wet all bread with egg mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate until all liquid is absorbed (30 mins)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Make the topping: In a small bowl, combine the softened margarine, sugar, and flour with a fork until crumbly.
- Uncover the casserole and sprinkle topping over fruit. Bake until completely set, and starting to brown, (160 degrees F in the center), about 35-40 minutes.
Variations: For the fruit, try peaches, pears, berries or diced apples. Lightly sprinkle with cinnamon or other spices such as nutmeg, ground cloves, allspice or cardamom at the end of step 2.Try topping with a spoonful of yogurt when serving.